Discover Differences. Break Barriers. Reduce Disparities.
When we seek health care, or counseling, or support services, we do so as whole beings. We do not bring only the sick part of ourselves, or the queer part of ourselves, the trans part, or the Black part. We do not leave behind the part that relies on faith, or has never been able to afford healthcare, or thinks most clearly in Spanish. We cannot stop being the person who seeks joy, and pleasure, and peace of mind. To ask us to do so is to provide us inadequate care.
This year’s conference theme—Discover Differences, Break Barriers, Reduce Disparities—will focus on reducing health disparities by creating medical and behavioral health settings that are radically inclusive of those most in need of services. Workshops and plenary addresses will center the experiences of patients and clients and amplify those voices typically marginalized in healthcare forums.
This year’s conference will feature
Elevate Your Voice at TCC!
a series of rapid-fire personal presentations highlighting firsthand accounts of LGBTQ+ folks experiencing, navigating, and/or avoiding healthcare and social services.
Want to Share Your Story?
2019 Conference Preview
Content Themes and Proposed Workshops
We’re getting ready to post the draft TCC schedule at the beginning of August. In the mean time, here is a look at the content areas and planned workshops for the 2019 conference.
Healthcare at the Intersection of Race, Gender Identity, and Sexual Orientation
- Needed Improvements to Medical Curricula Concerning LGBTQ+ Care
- Intersectional Framework for Wellness and Resilience for Black/African American Queer and Trans Young Adults
- Eating Disorders in the LGBTQ+ Community
- Health Policy Changes for the LGBTQ+ Community Under the Trump Administration
- Transgender Patients, Medicine, and Risk
The Race and Class of HIV
- Eliminating HIV in POC Communities
- The Criminalization of HIV
- Sustainable Systems for HIV/HCV Testing
- Long-Term Survivor Panel
More than a Spectrum: A Deeper Look into LGBTQ+ Communities
- LGBTQ+ 101
- Ohio Transgender Community Needs Assessment
- Health and Obesity Across the Lifecycle for Lesbian and Bisexual Women
- Transgender Individuals and Incarceration
- Ally and Advocate Advice
- Impact of Lifetime Mental Health on Tobacco and Cannabis Use among Sexual Minority Women
- Navigating the Healthcare System as a Transgender Patient
Living with Disability. Worthy of Health.
- Understanding Ableism in Regards to Mental Health
- Ableism and Heteronormativity in Sexuality Education
Young and Queer
- Intersectional Eating Disorder Treatment in the LGBTQ+ Community
- Support for Families of LGBTQ+ Youth
- Unique Disparities in the Behavioral and Mental Health of Asexual Youth
- Piloting a Resiliency Group for Trans and Gender Diverse Adolescents
- LGBTQ+ Youth in the Context of Schools
- House and Ballroom Community / Culture 101
- End of Life Planning for the LGBTQ+ Community
- Dietary concerns in the LGBTQ+ Community
- Importance of Medication Adherence and Self-Advocacy as a Pharmacy Patient
- Recent Federal Policy Changes for LGBTQ+ Inclusive Healthcare
Health, Wellness, and Poverty
- Serving the LGBTQ+ Community as a Member of the Community
- The Importance of Health Literacy
- Financial Stress in the LGBTQ+ Community
Spirituality and the Medical Model
- Rebuilding Bridges for Integration of Spirituality into the Medical Model
- Emphasis of Importance of Spiritual Care to LGBTQ+ Individuals and Those Living with HIV/AIDS in Outpatient Clinics
Trauma and Self-Care
- Chocolate Meditation
- Providing Care to One’s Own Community
- Trauma Informed Care for People Facing Multiple Oppressions
- Posttraumatic Growth for LGBTQ+ Individuals and Providers
- Accessibility in Meditation
- Maximizing Involvement of Survivors of Trafficking
Translation and Interpretation in Health and Wellness Settings
- How Medical Professionals Can become Better Allies
- Interdisciplinary Support for Transgender Education in Healthcare Settings